Paying for College


• The FAFSA deadline:  Will be posted as soon as it is announced.

FSA ID Workshop Recording  

  • If you missed the FSA ID Workshops, click on the link below to access a recording of the meeting. A SCC representative discussed the FAFSA Application and gave a step by step walkthrough.  

Click here for link



Cal Grants are one of the smartest ways to get cash for college. A grant is money you don't have to pay back. Cal Grants are up to $12,630* of free money annually for up to four years of college. *Amount varies depending upon the eligible school that you attend.

If you are a graduating high school senior or recent graduate, meet academic, financial and eligibility requirements, and submit two forms by the Cal Grant deadline, you may receive a Cal Grant! The money can be used for tuition, room and board, and even books or pencils.

You must be a California resident or AB 540 student to qualify.

Cal Grant Award Types

What is the Cal Grant deadline?
You must apply by March 2 to maximize your opportunity to receive an award.

How To Apply:  

In addition to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), to apply for a Cal Grant a school certified Grade Point Average (GPA) must be submitted to the California Student Aid Commission (Commission) by the filing deadline. 

Cal Grant General Eligibility Requirements


Cal Grants are good at all UCs, CSUs, community colleges, and many eligible private, career and technical schools in California. Check for eligible schools by clicking the link below. 

Eligible and Ineligible Cal Grant Schools



Completion of this application is required to determine eligibility for California student financial aid for AB540 eligible students. Your application will be processed by the California Student Aid Commission.

The Dream Application is not an application for federal financial aid. Students who are eligible to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), must use that application to maximize their opportunity to receive student financial aid. The FAFSA application is on-line at Students should not complete both applications.

Assembly Bill (AB) 540 was passed in 2001 to allow non-resident students in California to pay the lower resident tuition and fees to California's public colleges and universities. In October 2011, AB131 was signed into law and allows students eligible for AB540 to also apply for state financial aid.

To qualify for California financial aid through AB131, non-resident students, including undocumented students, must:

  • Have attended a California high school for 3 or more full academic years between grades 9 through 12. They do not need to be consecutive years
  • Have or will graduate from a California high school or have attained a G.E.D.; or received a passing mark on the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE);
  • Register or be currently enrolled at an accredited institution of higher education in California;
  • Not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F,J,H,L,A,B,E, etc.);
  • Demonstrate financial need and meet all other program requirements.

If you believe you meet these requirements, please click the Dream Application link below.

Screen shot 2012-09-18 at 10.39.44 AM.png

For detailed instructions on completing the CA Dream Act Application click here